photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Monday 16 September 2013

Cool isn't unique


Red van outside, footsteps, the 3rd day of the month, the biggest drop ever. ITS HERE! 
ahh the arrival of a new month's Elle magazine - my third year of subscriptions is nearly over so therefore I have a massive hoard of them - if anyone wants a browse!


I came back from Spain to find October 2013 waiting for me - I LOVE October Elle - its always the biggest, the fattest, the most packed with fashion and beauty. But it was the September 2013 Elle content that caught my eye - not fashion or beauty - but the Elle #inspire page. Usually I'm just waltzing through this page like "ahh nice thoughts but I'll never use them" - Not this time. This Elle #inspire was written by Caitlin Moran, if you havn't heard of her you've had your head buried further in the sand then the foundations of the Eiffel Tower, and being a boy isn't an excuse, I was mightly impressed when a boy at Uni told me he had read her debut novel "How To Be A Woman" - now that is an interesting read - clearly even for men, I'm talking tasting your own menstrual fluid to having Brazilian waxes, aye she does-ne hold back. She writes for the Times and when she was 15 was a journalist for the Observer (which she writes about in her debut novel). The novel is being made into a film and at 38 she had just released her second novel "Moranthology". She's currently the 'voice of the female world' and very much a feminist.

So what's on the page?

My favourite little snippet is "Stop trying to be cool and be individual instead" 

"Cool isn't unique" - I'm now seeing that everywhere, who's "cool" in the music charts? - Rihanna - great, One Direction - great, cool, but not unique, Unique is London Grammer and Birdy and The 1975 - they were probably the uncoolest of the uncool crew at school but look at them now so so unique they write their own songs about anything and everything as opposed to writing the best song ever which still doesn't have a name, or songs called Hard, getting beaten up by your boyfriend then getting back with him, thats so cool man. 

"Being cool stops people talking to you and your world will just get smaller and smaller" 
- so true I can vouch for this - at school everyone wanted to be with the cool kids, but looking back now - who got the best grades? who got on well with the majority? who can look back and say I enjoyed everything I did and regret hardly anything - not the cool kids! the unique ones - they have a massive open world wheres as the general "Smiths" (ouch Ruth) or mediocres limit their world to only the things they will try. Unique people will try anything. 

That brings me onto the next point of "It's no good thinking 'If I am amazing something incredible will happen'" - thats what the cool kids think - I won't expand but will leave that as food for thought or words for thought, whatever. 

And her last "Don't leave the house without a motto" - Caitlin's is "Scream" haha ahh Scream, a Derby nightclub, probably not the best motto for lovers of Scream. 

"Count your blessings and not your flaws"- 'King' Lauren Aquilla 

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars - or complete darkness in which you're all alone - so best just to make your own up. 

you only live once thats the moto honey YOLO. (lol, "honey") 

be good
RHS x

No comments:

Post a Comment