photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Wednesday 13 November 2013

I am a woman and...

And for my 60th post - the most controversial yet.

(Excuse the tiredness exposed here, I've been bulking)



#IAMAWOMANAND I eat protein bars, I go into the weights gym, yes I do lift (bro), I will text you first, I want a six pack too, I am incredible at DIY (thanks MUM), I watch football and yes I do understand the offside rule, I love rugby, I can rap the words to "Make Me Proud" by Drake, I will wear what I want, and no, I don't want children.

As per, ELLE magazine comes up with an incredible collection of articles on what it means to be a feminist. They launched a campaign where women send in photos of what it means to them to be a woman. 

I really don't know if I'm a feminist, I did think it was for man-haters and was slightly let down when I found out it actually wasn't - I'd be so good at that. I'm not sure I know what it really is, let alone have time to act upon it. 

My favourite part of the article was from Jinan Younis (the founder of FemSoc - I should start this at Uni). She said that feminism is not accepting the stereotypes or the groups that we are put in, not just by men. For example we should be allowed to walk down the street without being wolf-whilsted at, or being degraded in some way. We're not an "apple" or a "pear" - although some people do have wider hips then others, and "pear" shaped is a nicer way then saying "look at that derrière!" HOWEVER, that's not the point, were not the "career woman" or "the one who doesn't want to get married" or the "slag". We're women and as Miley Cyrus says "only God can judge you" - preach it Miley. 


I've recently noticed since being at Uni that there are "lad" things to do and there are things the girls don't do. I have for the first time began using the weights gym at Uni - a very normal occurrence at home, however the boys in this gym are completely beside themselves when a girl walks in, they do not know what to do. They get awkward, they can't ask you to move so they can get some dumbbells, they breathe a sigh of relief when you leave and they certainly look at you like you're a martian. Personally I just think they wish they could put the size weights through their quads like I can. 

I was in the gym yesterday for example and there was a large group of six girls in the weights gym I was thinking "excellent! - the girls taking over the weights", only to walk in to find them gossiping about the boys and then proceeding to look at me like I'd joined the Bonkers Raving Looney party when I begin my circuit. They then left after not even picking up one weight. I was disappointed. However, I'm taking one for the team and going to continue using the weights gym. I get the weirdest looks when I say I use the weights room. Looks of surprise, sheer terror and questions such as "you lift bro?" - just to clarify, I have weakling arms, stronger then the average Eve, but thats why I'm a runner - hence the quads. So, bro, nah, I don't lift, much anyway... 

Another thing since I have been at Uni is the whole idea that it is not acceptable for girls to get with boys. Now, last time I checked we're all adults and no one can judge us so what we do in our own time is our own choices. Plus when a boy gets with lots of girls thats just normsville but a girl is instantly called a "slag" - and it is the girls that call the girls "slags" - I very very rarely hear a boy say it. So we're basically shooting ourselves in the foot with that one. 

Back to Feminism - can boys be a feminist? I guess so. Its about equality and respect. We have come along way (we no longer have to starve ourselves, or throw ourselves in front of a horse or burn our Victoria Secrets' to be heard) but there is still a ridiculously long way to go, apparently we're looking at 2057 before men and women in the same jobs are paid the exact same. Men are still paid nearly 15% more than women in some jobs, which is slightly sickening. I'd also be appalled if I was asked if I had any "baby plans" over the next five years, as a person who doesn't want children I'd say "no, but I'll happy take "maternity leave" to go on a cruise"

Food for thought.
I hope I've stirred some thought, or just made you scratch your head in utter confusion. But if any of that made even a teeny bit of sense, my work here is done. 

Here is the ELLE article containing pictures of ELLE employee's with their "I am a woman and..." posters. 


Happy Feminism!
RHS x

No comments:

Post a Comment