photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Thursday 23 January 2014

Angora

"Hey I'm Ang" 


John Lewis has now joined ASOS and H&M in the ban of Angora. Now, I am currently feeling like a rebel; like I've killed sables for coats as I have several and I mean several Angora jumpers and cardigans. I do apologise to all the vegans/vegetarians/people who are bothered about this issue, but until you have one don't judge! 

John Lewis have said they regard animal welfare as one of their highest standards, yet they haven't any cases of Ang(ora) abuse to report - so what is the issue? Apparently rabbits like Ang and her mates are being put through pain when they are being shaven in China, although non of my jumpers are from China (or made in China) we can never be sure of the supply chain. 

One of the first shops to stop selling Angora-containing products was H&M (well, they have "halted" production of Angora products") - ironically the place I got my first ever Angora-containing jumper. It was a week ago when I bought another Angora cardigan which was in the Zara sale. Apparently Victoria Beckham is a big backer of this "NO ANGORA!" campaign (or just PETA if you can't see Vicky with a sign and throwing red paint over me), however I am sure she has several leather shoes and plenty of sables which Dave put under the tree for her. The rabbits aren't dying and they are growing their fur back. We shouldn't be scared of another form of animal wool which keeps us warm in the winter. Neanderthals weren't concerned about animal welfare when they were hunter-gatheres. MAYBE they were! I can imagine the conversation now: "Nea, we're going to freeze to death this winter as I just can't bear to shave the poor rabbits, they can live, we'll die" - or not. 

Don't get me wrong, animals who aren't treated well is a big no no, and you won't see me buying Basics eggs or chicken - I'm all for running wild and free over roaming hills - but I think it is a case of just being more aware of where your clothes are coming from. Angora prices have dropped significantly over the last two years as conditioned have worsened, therefore saving money, so if you're paying £15 for an Angora jumper, I wouldn't bother, stick to brands that you can trust! Or just stick to lambswool which is super soft. Or cashmere! yummy. 



RHS x 
disclaimer: no rabbits, not even Ang, were hurt during the writing of this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment