photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Thursday 9 January 2014

Fitness Thursday #3 How to run

I can imagine you are thinking one of serval things: 
1. There has been more than one Fitness Thursdays?! - yes my lambs, check my archive from August
2. I know how to run 
3. Of course Ruth is going to tell me about running... 
4. I don't want to run, I thought this post was going to have pictures of cake instead... wrong. 

So here we are, 9 days into the new year and I have only been on three runs, which is quite startling for a gazelle like myself. As I put on the running gear to head out into Antarctica to run this afternoon I realised there is far more to running than one step in front of the other with a slight moment when the soles of your trainers are not in contact with the ground and this occurs at a fast pace, no, there is so much more to it. 

Firstly you have the gear (but no idea?) running kit is expensive, but don't complain because it is the only sport where you don't require equipment (like a racket or a ball) to assist you - its all you baby! If you want kit that lasts, invest and it will last years. I received my mums gym wear a few months ago - which is still going strong! - if you're into 80's Reebok shorts that sit 10 inches above your tummy button and crop tops in the gym. If you have a pair of decent trainers (not moth eaten or 7 years old), shorts (although you might catch flu in this weather!) and a top you're good to go - oh and perhaps a hill or a long stretch of road! 

Secondly there is the music - you cannot run without music, well you can but it is so un motivating and also running to a beat makes you run so much faster - I have a fast and a slow playlist, with different bpms depending on how hard I want to work. If you're going for a long run (5k+) try slower music than if you're bossing out a 6 minute mile. 

Thirdly it is the motivation - I know sometimes I'd rather sit and eat cake whilst watching Come Dine With Me on 4seven than brave gail force winds but it is very worth it. The cold makes you're muscles tense more which tones them and as I found out today it makes you run so much faster! Get an app that speaks to you whilst you run - I use RunKeeper which seems to be the most popular one as it tells you every 5 minutes how far you have ran and at what pace (minutes/mile). The app also allows you to set music and chose a workout. I.e. if you want to set a new pace PB then the app will tell you how far off you are (sometimes slightly de-motivating). If you need more motivation, go to ELLE Running Club where they post lots of motivation for real runners! (not those skinny, photoshopped ones you find on Pinterest).

Fourthly food! - I don't follow a strict diet at all and if you want to lose weight then I guess you could but this post is about running not dieting. I eat a lot of carbs, in fact it is all I have eaten so far today (porridge and a bagel) and I've lost two pounds over Christmas so eat carbs! (and cake!). I usually try not to eat up to two hours before I go for a run (depends what you're eating and how big), after I've had breakfast (of porridge and a banana, not a full english!) I wait about an hour and then begin to get ready. 

Find a friend! - personally, I find I run a lot easier and more comfortably on my own (especially if I'm just running a fast mile or an actual training session) however I do enjoy a group run (for a 5k etc), so find a friend if you want to start running, someone who is the same ability as you will want to achieve the same goals, someone with a higher ability will be able to motivate you. 

Stretch! - this was my biggest downfall a few years ago I never used to stretch and the next day (next 3 days) I'd be in agony (and injured for a month)/ I'll put my favourite post-run stretches on another post. 

Lastly, enjoy running! It burns more calories per hour than swimming (a 14 minute run burnt 164 calories for me earlier, however I do have the advantage of two hills in that time!) and it tones your abs like nobody's business, also people look at you when you're out for a run like you're a crazy lady (or man) because you're in lycra in -5 degrees whilst they get fat in a hat and wooly coat. Don't leave it till May when you suddenly decide you need to get fit for summer so start running now because it isn't a one-week miracle worker! It helps to relieves stress (and keep your heart health top notch) ! Asses your workout afterwards, it is great to to see how many calories you've burnt and how fast you went - trying to beat those PB's is so motivating!

Try this (edit according to your level of fitness - this is for a beginner) 

Month one: 

Once a week go for a 10-15 minute run at a slow pace (maybe a 10k pace - do not think Mo Farah! - a 10k pace is one that you could maintain for 10,000m (50-70 minutes) 

Month two:

Go for a run twice a week (15-20 minutes) at an 5k pace - a pace that you could keep up for 30 minutes. 

Month three:

go crazy and got for as many runs as you can in a week - vary it so you don't get bored! 

Am I mad? 
Nah, I just love to run. 
Plain and simply - one foot in front of the other fast, even jog, bound! select music that suits how fast you want to run and don't eat an hour before you run to avoid any niggling stitches (which you can't get rid of unless you stop AND WE CAN'T STOP, WE WON'T STOP! - thanks Miley), get some decent trainers or look forward to shin splints, pulled muscles and a torn achilles and finally enjoy it! God gave you legs so use them!

Run forest run (Quote from my father... and Forrest Gump) 
RHS x 

No comments:

Post a Comment