photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Thursday 13 February 2014

Fitness Thursday #5 Yoga

Ahh, a week off training (if you discount the 5k run two days ago) but still ahh for no sprint sessions and no puled muscles. However, I do a few Yoga poses before I go to bed just to make sure I don't lose form and so I work off those last few chocolates I just ate (and to increase my flexibility which is definitely my weak point, I blame it on short-muscled sprinters, I'm jealous of all you long-muscled dancers)

I used to practise Yoga quite a lot when I was in secondary school but didn't have time for it through sixth form but I still used some of the poses after I went to the gym to relax, stretch and de stress my muscles. Here are a few of my favourite stretches and some poses which target deeper muscles. All of these have come from FIT SUGAR YOGA which is full of poses, routines and targeted Yoga practise so check that out too!

 Downward facing dog: Ahh the classic Yoga pose to stretch out your tired legs and back and arms etc etc try to touch your heels to the floor, if this is too hard place your elbows and forearms on the floor for a modified version. Hold this pose for as long as you need, and breatheeee. 








Eagle: this Yoga pose is really good for thigh strength, the photo isn't very clear so I'll fully explain this one. Stand on your left leg and wrap your right leg over your left thigh and bring your toes to the inside of your left legs' calf. Squat down and find your balance. Wrap your arms over each other (right over left to start with) and bring hands together. Balance and hold






Camel: Please be careful with this one, especially if you have back problems, however it is much easier than it looks (begin and end with child's pose (below) to stretch your back).
Kneel on the floor and bend back and grab your right heel with your right hand, stretch your left hand up/back/sideways, which ever is comfortable, come back up and switch sides, when you are ready, place both hands on the respective heels and hold and breathe 




Upward facing dog: lie on the floor, as if about to do a plank, then inhale and push up with your hands using strong arms and lift your legs off the floor, balancing on the top of your feet, round your back and look up, neck back, hold for several breaths 






Butterfly: my favourite post-run stretch to de-stress groin and inner thighs (and back!), bring feet together, as close to you as you can, lean forward and push elbows into thighs to push them closer to the floor 






Wide legged forward bend C: I don't know where the C comes from, some Yoga guru I suspect, this is a really relaxing pose to work the legs and shoulders. Stand with legs wide and bring hands together behind your back. Keeping legs straight (don't bend your knees) bend at the hip and fall as low as you can go







Child's pose: Ok, maybe this is my favourite (I always remember a Yoga instructor telling the class to complete a Warrior sequence and end like this, I just went straight to this saying I was over stretched and needed to just lie there, like a child ahh). Sit on your feet, with knees apart, bend at your hips and stretch hands forwards as far as they will go and hold for hmm about 20 minutes ish




I do all of these Yoga poses before I go to bed, or at least the latter two to relax, never go straight into Yoga, make sure your breathing is correct and don't over stretch as this can cause injury. 

I also came across this video on Popsugar a few days ago and it is a 10 minute Yoga sequence by JENNIFER ANNISTON'S YOGA INSTRUCTOR (I know) its called the "Get Happy and Toned" Yoga sequence, watch it and go with it and you will know what I mean when during the sequence I ended up high fiving myself. But this is a really warm, happy, heart-opening Yoga sequence that will de-stress you in 10 minutes!

Enjoy and relax
RHS x

No comments:

Post a Comment