photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Monday 12 August 2013

How To: save money the easy way

I wasn't going to write this post because I thought everything I was planning on writing in it everyone will have already heard of, but then a friend told me she hadn't heard of half of my ideas or ways that I save money. So the post was back on!

As a student I am always looking for easy ways to save money (and make money!). I have also included some codes for you to get FREE STUFF!

Yes. FREE. 

1. Save The Student

This is a great website full of loads of information on how to save money, budget and where to get student finance. It also gives you lots of ways to save money in store and online. They currently have a deal for you to get a FREE SUBWAY and a drink. Sign up to their newsletter and they handpick deals to send to you via a weekly email full of lots of offers they have found. I recently signed up to receive a FREE ELEMIS lip balm (other offers have included free chocolate, money off codes) 

2. Student Beans

This is my favourite student website because it has the most offers online and they are constantly being updated as they are found and it also gives you ways for you to earn money through product testing and answering surveys. Their current offers include FREE PEPSI MAX, FREE CADBURYS CRISPELLO and a THREE NIGHTS GLAMPING offer. This website also sends out a weekly newspaper. They also have Twitter for you to keep up to date that way too.


 

3. Save small change. 

Here is my piggy bank. I call him fat pig - why? - because I'm a waitress and instead of spending the tips i receive on chocolate when I leave work I save it all. I recently counted it all (find money bags at your local Post Office) and had £265 from just over a year! - That paid for a return flight to spain and nearly £100 spending money! - Even if you don't receive any tips, saving pennies and 5ps when your purse is getting a little on the heavy side will soon add up to a good amount! (even if it adds up to £10 over two months, thats several drinks on a night out!) 






4. Graze

I get Graze boxes. They send you a box of four snack pots straight to your door as often as you wish (from nuts to brownies!) I have received seven now and have only paid for three (and I got money off them!).
Use this code to get you a FREE GRAZE BOX: V5MLD3GD (this will require you to enter your bank details)
Use this code to get you a FREE GRAZE BOX: QNYZL63 (this will require you to have another email address and another bank account) 
If you do this all the right way (requires a bit of skill) when they send you your box you will receive a leaflet with a free box code in - use this again! - or give it to your friends and you will receieve £1 off your next box. 
REMEMBER: to cancel your boxes if you don't want to pay for them - this is good because they usually offer you a cheap box or another one free! - Thanks, Graze. 
Start here

5. Don't knock Aldi

I had friends who definitely turned their noses up when I said I was going to have a look round Aldi - They were green with envy when I returned! I got a lot of chicken (freeze!) for cheaper than you would in a supermarket and its all British AND free range! (unlike the basics chicken). They do free range eggs for half the price than in supermarkets. They're fruit and veg lasts a lot longer and is a lot cheaper. They also do different branded 'Pringles' and dips which are a lot cheaper than the original brands. There is a fresh bakery, fresh meat, smoked salmon!, milk, cheese, tea (ETC).

And if you must shop in supermarkets, shop later on - the amount you can get when things have been reduced is amazing! - M&S are very good at this (bread for 25p! - freeze in batches).

6. Don't have all your eggs in one basket 

Admitted, this isn't the EASIEST way to save money, but its a VERY easy way to save money, it just requires time. By this I mean don't just have ONE bank account, look around for different current accounts and savings accounts, ISA's and bonds - even if they only offer a tiny amount of interest - its better than having it lying in a bank with no interest! - empty your piggy bank and start an instant access savings account! 
The Money Advice Service is a very good way to compare banks and offers!

7. The obvious

These are the very obvious ways to save money but people often overlook the

m! - get an NUS card (if you're a student, they also do them for people who work for the NHS) and ask if you can use it EVERYWHERE - even at Takeaways. Get a Lovefilm account (I have managed to get three months free using different bank accounts - ask your parents kindly if you can use their card details but MAKE SURE YOU CANCEL IT!). Then, when you're done playing the Lovefilm system get several months free of Netflix! Student Beans currently has an offer where they give you £20 Topshop/Topman vouchers when a new customer signs up to Lovefilm. Get a railcard! - this will save you a lot. A LOT. some student bank accounts give away free railcards and NUS cards (I got a free NUS card from Lloyds TSB student account!) 


Happy saving!

RHS x 

No comments:

Post a Comment