photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Friday 23 August 2013

I have officially fallen in love...

The beautiful La Rochelle


He's 6ft, blonde, blue eyes, worthy of my standards of physique...

HA, joke.... 


I've falled in Love with the west of France... 

Its taken nearly 20 years and about 24 trips to the same part of the country. 

The west coast; Around La Rochelle, Cognac, Royan - the dessert chef at work says La Rochelle is the best town in France and he's French. 

I have finally learnt to love France. 

Who could not love a week of great cheese, amazing wine, beautiful coastline, cheap La Roche-Posay (seriously get yourself to France for amazing skincare), hot weather and a lifeguard every 4ft on the beach. I promise, I didn't pretend to drown once...


I used to dislike France because it started to get cold there - like a British summer the weather can be very unpredictable - but even more so. Two years ago we were sunbathing at 10am because there was torrential rain due at 1pm and then we were back out sunbathing at 3pm for the rest of the day - very odd. 


But the last week has been nothing but burning sunshine and I'm glad I am over the age of unaccompanied travel because I am no longer of a British heritage and more Northern African and no longer related to my mother - Thanks Piz Buin! 

We know a large French family who we lunch with at least once during our stay - they own an island within a river in Cognac - I know, we are very lucky (its 20 minutes away from the Grey Goose distillery!), and this time we were treated to Charente melon, lemon marinated sardines on toast, the biggest pieces of fillet steak you have ever seen (there were 12 altogether for 15 people!),  homemade chips and the best green beans, followed by a lot of cheese, tarts and cakes, coffee and chocolate, all washed down with fantastic wine- oh and a few sips of the best Cognac - and company! - even if my French is a bit rusty, if not, non-existant. 

Note to self - learn French (repeat every year till you actually do) 


Outside the Grey Goose distillery
So I have bought a 400ml bottle of La Roche-Posay Physiological Micellar Solution  which is £11 in Boots for 200ml and I got a 400ml bottle for €11(about £9.50 - bargain!), I've put on about six pounds, my hair has grown from the sun, I've been back 24 hours and have spent a ridiculous amount shopping and burnt about 600 calories in the gym. I know. 

So, in a week it will be Summer Holiday Part 2 as two friends and I depart for Spain (thats after we have got to our friends house in Surrey - which means taking the underground. HAHA - will we ever get to spain?!) 

If you've been "dragged" to the same place for your summer holidays with your family don't hate it! Love it! - atleast you're spending time with your family and these times will definately be the ones to look back on

Bon voyage mes petites chéries

See, I can speak French... a bit... 

RHS x


No comments:

Post a Comment